Well, I was hoping I'd be writing this email with good news, but unfortunately that is not the case. On Monday, I auditioned to be the Georgia Lottery Spokesperson on our local TV station channel 2. 4, 600 people came to the Atlanta Civic Center to audition for this job. Round 1, we auditioned in front of a panel of 3 judges, and I was delightfully surprised when I moved on to the second round of auditions. Same story for round 2, but the numbers dropped from 4,600 to 400 people. Pretty big drop, so I was sure that I wasn't going to move on. And I was picked for round 3 for the top 250! Round 3 we did a live, taped audition in front of a panel of 5, including the CEO of Georgia Lottery, Margaret DeFransisco. I was so nervous, but I gave it my all.
Well, I went into this experience just to have fun and take chance. I have spent most of my life playing it safe in all facets of my life. Yesterday, I must have checked the Georgia Lottery website a hundred times to see who made it to the top 25 hoping to see my name. And then they posted it. I didn't get picked.
Everyone kept telling me, it's all about the experience, you took a chance - good for you. But, I had more fun auditioning those 2 days than I have had doing my current job for 2 years. So I just feel like I took 2 steps forward, and now I'm 2 steps back again. (that reminds me of that Paula Abdul. I used to love that song). And since this is my blog, I am going to be honest. I am bummed. I know it's not the end of the world, and there may be things that come out of this, but it would have been a lot of fun. And that's what I'm looking for. I want a job that I look forward to getting up in the morning to do. I for sure do not feel like that now.
Oh, and literally minutes after I read the top 25 list, I sneezed and it was the beginning of a killer cold.
And on top of that, tomorrow is my 25 birthday.
I'll take some cheese with this whine, please and thank you.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Happy Birthday. It is still really cool how far you got.
First off good for you making it that far. That's great!
I can relate to you in so many ways. I turned 25 in September. It wasn't that bad, but wasn't so great, either. Feels as if time is flying out the window. Doesn't it feel like you JUST turned 21?
I was working in Product Placement in films and really enjoyed it. I am now figuring out what I want to do, and I know that loving my job is very important to me. I am going to find something for now, and take classes so that in 6-12 months I can get into web design. I think I'd love it. Event planning doesn't sound so awful either. What are you thinking you'd like to do?
Anyways, I think that you can see this as a sign. You can find something you will enjoy. It's hard -- but there is something out there.
Hopefully that sneeze won't turn into a full blown cold. Feel better and Happy Birthday.
Danielle
I say good for you for having the guts to audition! I think 25 is a great age, I really think late 20s and up are great, but that's a 31-year-old talking. Oh my, I feel old now! Hope you find something you really enjoy doing. Have a fabulous birthday!
Karen
Congratulations for getting as far as you did! That was great! Enjoy your birthday tomorrow!
I was an actress fro 10 years so boy oh boy do I know rejection. The simple fact is its amazing you put yourself out there, most people wouldn't. There are no big rewards without big risks so you have to reach out and stretch and see where you end up. When I was twenty five I felt a mid life crisis coming on! I think we have them every 5 years or so...it just means you're ready for a change!
I am sorry to hear about your disappointment. It really is very impressive to have made it that far though! Happy Birthday. I hope you feel better soon.
I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up and I just turned 45.
Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment