Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hello strangers!

Thanks to everyone for their well wishes for my new job. I am so excited and for the first time in my life, I can't wait to go to work! It took some time, but it was definitely worth it. I'm not going to go into specifics for safety reasons, but I am going to be working as a special events coordinator for a children's hospital. A little background, this is what I studied in college and did for my internship, so it's really exciting to be following my original career path again!

Giving my notice was definitely challenging. I've been here for so long and we're in the middle of our busy season, but I knew that I had to do what was best for my husband and me. I won't be travelling anymore, no more extended hours, and no more complaining about hating my job! :) That in itself will be a relief for him I'm sure.

So, Kristy (hope that you don't mind that I linked to you :) ) asked me if I'd thought about my outfit for my first day - of course, I'm panicked already that I don't have enough to wear! :) At my current job, it's SUPER casual since I only see 2 people everyday and while travelling I have a uniform. So it's exciting to get to go shopping again, but ladies you know how it is, we never have enough options!

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've hit up all of the obvious - J.Crew, Ann Taylor, etc. - but I'm just so overwhelmed by how expensive everything is right now with the new season coming! I've never said that before when it comes to clothes, I guess there's a first for everything!

Or do any of you have any wardrobe staples that you own and wear all of the time? Something you just couldn't live without. Let me know, I'd love to hear all of your suggestions.

Oh, and I've been hard core addicted to 2 shows so far this year - American Idol and Lipstick Jungle! Yup, I've chosen Lipstick over Cashmere. There of course are a few flaws here and there, but I'm such a sucker for "the pretty" when it comes to TV. That's what I call it - pretty people, wearing pretty clothes, and living in pretty digs - with a little sprinkle of drama. Gossip Girl has the same affect on me! Oh that sounds so superficial...... :)

Oh and who are you're favorites for AI? My choices have been changing so much but my 2 faves are Brooke White and Jason Castro. Being a major Beatles fan, I so enjoyed last nights show. Thoughts?

Take care everyone!

14 comments:

kristy said...

Ofcourse, I don't mind you linking to me! :)

Glad everything is going so well! And yes, good luck with the shopping. As for my staples, I love polos (but we have a casual office dress code). I'll keep my eye out for some ideas!

Kim said...

Congratulations on the job!

Maybe a trip to the Premium Outlets is in order for new work clothes? I just got an email coupon for the Ralph Lauren outlet today.

Danielle Moss said...

Congratulations. That job sounds amazing.

I love Brooke White. She's adorable. I haven't been watching the past few weeks though but did see a little bit last night.

Glad everything is going so well. You seemed to have named the basics. Banana Republic could have something...

Good luck!

Buford Betty said...

Brooke is totally my favorite girl. I love her. Jason is great too. Gosh there are a lot of good ones this year. I think that country chick should get the boot tonight - her song was AWFUL. I know John and George had to be rolling over in their graves.

Karen said...

Congratulations! We have a business casual dress code. I buy mostly classic clothes, the usual black, grey, tan pants/skirts and lots of sweaters. In the summer I usually have more color as I wear a lot of dresses with a jacket/cardigan. Hope that helps!

I also love Gossip Girl, the clothes, the city, the drama! Have a great week!

Karen

Puttin' On The GRITS said...

Well, I'm not sure what your new job dress code is but I'd recommend getting a wrap dress of some kind. Of course we all want a Diane Von Furstenberg dress but you can find them anywhere! Banana Repbulic has the BEST sale racks for trousers. I'd never pay for price for a pair because they ALWAYS go on sale! They last forever, too.

SCM said...

I love cardigans. I have about a zillion crew neck cardigans in all different solid colors and they pair great with a fitted white tee underneath, a button down, a cami or worn buttoned up on their own. I wear them all the time.

I also have a lot of basics in black and gray... dresses, suits, slacks and skirts. That way it's easy to mix and match and easy to add a splash of color or accessorize. I like black and gray because it's just easier to find black shoes, but I have a friend who has all of her staples in navy and brown.

Kiki said...

Mrs LSL, We just had markdowns and a cute little navy blazer just went on sale, it also comes in khaki...we have a ton of sweet cardigans in neat colors...also next Mon. a Gap near you should be getting in some gorgeous dresses that you could layer a blazer over for work and take off to go out after work. We have really nice wide leg trousers that is the best selling item in our store...

I can only speak to Gap, I don't go to many other stores...its hard to shop somewhere else when I get such a generous discount, as you know!!!

Heather said...

It is so great to hear your excitement about your new job. It sounds like it will be a really good fit for you. I am so happy for you! I usually get my work clothes from Ann Taylor and JCrew. Ann Taylor Loft has some cute things this year, and I think Banana Republic does too. I am with you on Lipstick Jungle. At first I could not decide which I preferred: LJ or Cashmere Mafia, but I have settled on Lipstick Jungle. I do love seeing the fashion, make up, jewelry, etc.

Kate said...

What a wonderful job! I 2nd the BR & ATL suggestions for work clothes. & I agree - Lipstick is SO much better than Cashmere:)

MMM said...

Sounds like a great job! I'm a special events coordinator for a hospital too (but my job hasn't turned out as I expected). I'm sure you'll do great and being at a Children's hospital will be a lot of fun. My staples are black pants and sweaters & wrap dresses and cardigans. Good luck! When do you start?

k e r r y said...

congratualtions! I missed AI last night - who was voted off?

For your first day I would go for a killer black suit (comfortable and classic) and if you want to give the outfit a little kick then get a great shirt (a print or color that pops) OR a great pair of shoes that will pop - like red or animal print.

Let us know what you come up with!

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

You are a busy girl. Lots of excitement! I would suggest buying a suit in navy or black with the jacket, pants, skirt and you will get tons of use. I bought the cutest J Crew suit with peter pan collar in navy with the matching pants, skirt and wore it a lot for many years, would still look fabulous if I didn't wear it out! I'm a big cardigan/twin set person. Very versatile too. And, a few of the pretty button up blouses are great. Good luck! Keep it simple. You don't need as much as you think you do.

magnoliabelle said...

Your new job sounds like so much fun! I love event coordination and would love to get into it professionally someday (do it as a volunteer now).

As for your wardrobe, I'm such an Ann Taylor Loft girl. I always have to have a pair of black pants, tan pants, and a white blouse. Then I build from there. Bottom line is, find things that you feel good in and that will carry you through your day no matter what you wear.

For AI, I've loved Brooke since day 1! Jason's growing on me and so is David Cook, but I've always loved Michael.

Good luck on your first day! Can't wait to hear about it!