This is way overdue, but I finally started and finished the first Shopaholic book in the series! A while back, I had asked my readers for book suggestions. I got some fabulous ideas, and decided to start the Shopaholics series. I'm a series reader - I always get really attached to the characters, speed read through a book and then feel almost sad when it's over. Like with the "Something" series (Something Borrowed and Something Blue). I was so into those books; then when it was over I missed reading about them! (I know - I need to get a life. :) ) So that's why the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella was perfect for me. And did I mention that it involves a Brit? Too good to be true.
So over the weekend, I went up to New Jersey to visit when of my very favorite friends over the weekend. She had just gotten engaged so my hubby, sister and I went up to celebrate. We had a fabulous time - we even went into NYC on Saturday. It was a whirlwind trip - engagement party, BBQ, visiting, etc - and we had a great time. Until the flight home. We flew through customs and security in Newark. We were sure that we were going to make it home ahead of schedule for once. I guess I jinxed myself.
We got on the plane effortlessly. Cut to 3 HOURS later, when we hadn't even left the runway yet. Ugh. Apparently there were 30 other planes ahead of us on the runway or something. I just really don't understand how that happens! I've had a few days to cool off about it, but they committed some of my biggest pet peeves: no apologies, no attempt to smooth things over. We were suppose to get in at 8, we didn't end up getting in until 10:45! Ridiculous. But it did give me time to read 200 pages of my book. I finished it last night and wow, did it worry me how much I could relate to her shopping woes! For those who haven't read it (which you def should), it's the story of a 25 year old, recent grad who is working a job that she doesn't care about, making very little, yet still shops to her hearts content. There are bits and pieces in the story about her love life, family relationships, etc. but the main theme of it is her shopping. Many of her antics I am guilty of myself. Like passing by a shop and going in for something but leaving with more items. Or having a crappy day and doing a little retail therapy.
My husband just can't understand my love for shopping. Not like going out and picking up an expensive piece - it's the love of picking up little things here and there. Which of course add up BIG TIME. He seriously thinks that I have a problem! (I don't think that it's a problem until you run out of funds. hehe :) ) What I want to know is: am I alone in this shopping thing? I never go outside of my means. I think that I'm sensible. I would never shop if it meant not being able to afford the necessities. I just love the excitement of getting a new dress, or new item for the house. This list could go on and on.....
Ladies (and gents if you're out there :), help me out. Am I alone or are there others of you out there with the same "problem"? I'd love to hear your stories too!
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I love to shop...you know that, and sometimes Ken and I mix it up over that, but I remind him that I work like 4000 hours a week and if i want to treat myself....then I am going to do it! He backs down then, because the alternative is me quitting and staying home, which I think makes him nervous because then I'd have more time to shop.
So there you go, some weeks I don't spend a dime and others I go way over budget, but I try to be reasonable and I think that's all we can do, its almost genetic!!!
I love to shop. But, I am usually pretty sensible - unless I am overseas on a holiday where there are so many more choices than in Australia. I recently discovered a US website which allows you to shop in US stores that only ship to a US address. As my husband said "Oh, so dangerous"! JCrew here I come....as soon as I work out the sizing difference.
Also, I am going to have to read those shopaholic books!
I think you are right - it's not a problem unless you are going beyond your means. There is nothing wrong with what you describe. I am the same way! I LOVE getting new things (clothes, shoes, make up, things for the house). Aren't most girls this way? :)
You are definitely not alone! It sounds like I can relate to the series so much as well, I feel like I should start reading them as well!
You are TOO cute and SO normal! Honestly, it's probably a good thing that there is that balance in your relationship. When I was married, I hid things in my trunk, the pantry, the garage... So not good. ;)
Shopping is therapy for most of us. I'm not one for a little here and there but more into saving for bigger purchases. I used to be a big shopper and deal finder, I would go to all the usuals (TJ MAXX, Marshalls, Home Goods, etc.) and found out that I was spending so much on things I bought on a whim and that I didn't really want or need but it made me feel better. I decided to change my shopping behavior and stop buying things because they were cute and a good deal. After a few months, I realized that I could easily afford the more expensive things that I had put on the back burner. I like shopping and meeting up with girlfriends to shop but I definitely don't shop like I used to. It's not to say I spend any less money, just in a different way. SO boring, I know...
BTW- I need to read that series. AND, I've flown out of Newark too many times and it's the WORST!!! I once sat on the tarmac for over 3 hours waiting to take off, SO NOT FUN! :(
Have a great week!
I think it's important to feel confident socially and professionally and clothes can be a huge part of that. I usually buy things that are simple and well made, and like you I hate paying retail so 99% of my closest are quality pieces found on sale. The one conflict I have is that sometimes I feel the time and money devoted to shopping would be better invested in certain personal creative pursuits... :)
I love to shop too and always have. I am a lot like TPP in that I have made the switch from major bargain shopping to investing in things that I will wear for a longer period of time.
Enjoy your week!
I am right there with you - I think that's why I loved the Shopaholic books so much. In some warped way they validated my sometime crazy behavior. I am notorious for searching my closet for articles of clothing that I have not worn so I can return and get store credit - it's like free money in my head!
My boyfriend and father BOTH think I have some sort of "shopping problem" but I don't think we do!! They have things that make them happy and cheer them up- our "thing" just happens to be pretty clothes! Nothing wrong with that!!!!
Yes! I HAVE THE PROBLEM! and my husband does not understand it - and I'm just like you, little things here and there.
And every time I try to say I'm going to "not shop until...blank", J.Crew has a sale!
It's definitely caused some arguments and I try, but I know I'll always love to shop. My mom has the disease too!
Post a Comment