Alright, I have a question for all of you. I went out with some girlfriends over the weekend, and my free spirit friend T wore a completely hilarious outfit - white linen pants and a matching white linen button up vest. Alone. Now, I would definitely not have the guts to wear this outfit out, but she's got a fabulous sense of humor and I thought pulled it off (she also used to be a pro swimmer, so she definitely has the bod for it). But everywhere we went, other women were gawking at her, rolling their eyes and saying, "Oh my gaw, what is she wearing?" I mean they weren't even hiding their evil looks.
So here's my question, why are we as females, each other's biggest critic? Is it competition, jealousy, insecurity?
What are your thoughts and stories on this topic?
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
I think it is a combination of competition, jealousy, and insecurity. Women can be so mean to one another. I could never pull off an outfit like that, but kudos for the woman who can!
I would agree with the other comment. I think it's a bit of all three AND a little bit of basic disapproval (at times).
-E
I happen to think it's the scoffs of people who will be emulating the same look three years later when it becomes the norm ;-)
I agree with the other posts. It is a shame when others' rudeness ruins the fun. I love to see women in fun, unique outfits!
Have a great day!
I wouldn't have the nerve to poke fun at someone who looked good, its when I see the "muffin top" when a woman is wearing ill fitting jeans, or terrible VPL, too much cleavage...I just want to help...but Lord knows, I'm a size 12, I pick the log out of my own eye, before I pick the stick out of someone else's.
I think it's all about acceptance. Having a man think you look good is all about sex, having a (straight) women think you look good is somewhat about envy. Don't we all want people to be envious of us?
I get dressed in the morning for other women, not my husband, which is a little messed up really! I would hate to be the woman at the mall that other women say "eww what is she wearing?" I'd rather be "wow, she looks amazing" But at the end of the day, if you like what you are wearing, that's all that matters.
Never ending battle!
Totally a combo. And cloggsy is right on - women dress for other women, not their men. Men notice how much skin is showing - and that's about it. ;-)
Great topic! I often wonder why women are so mean to each other. I think a lot of it has to do with insecurity and jealously...so very sad! I say if you can pull off an outfit like that, go for it! I think it's great your friend had the confidence to pull it off.
karen
I think you are exactly right - women can be so mean to one another! Heather/Grace303
I also think its a combo. I love people watching so I wish I could have seen it!
I left something here for you:
http://preppycricket.blogspot.com/2008/08/callin-out-those-preps-award-time-again.html
I'm weighing in late on this topic, but I would venture to say that a lot of the reaction you saw would be entirely different in Europe rather than south of the Mason-Dixon line...
Post a Comment