Thursday, September 4, 2008

Where I've Been....La La Land

Sorry I have been MIA - I know, again- but I've been a little under the weather. For the past few months, I've been having terrible heartburn - which isn't all that strange since I have been treated for acid reflux for years now. I've been on all sorts of meds - prilosec, protonix, prevacid - none of which have been working lately. And I'm not overweight, I eat pretty healthy with exception to peanut butter M&M's and try to stay active. So I went to see a specialist a few weeks ago who told me it's not normal to be in good shape and 25 and have GERD. So she said I had to get an endoscopy! (Yeah, I didn't know what that was either).

So cut to yesterday, I had my endoscopy. I made it through the procedure, with a little bit of my pride still in tact. I was put to sleep with a moderate amount of demerol - nighty, night! My Mum tells me when I was still woozy I was cussing like a sailor - "I'm so f-ed up right now, Mum." Who says that to their Mum?!? Oops. :)

I found out that I don't have acid reflux necessarily. I have a hiatal hernia! I know, Eww! So does anyone know another person that has this condition too?

13 comments:

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

I'm sorry that you haven't been feeling well and what you've been dealing with. Sorry, I don't know anyone (that I know of) with that diagnosis but I sure do hope you find something to make life easier for you!

I've never really been under but after I was out for my wisdom teeth, and as I was coming about, I guess I let loose on some foul language myself. Drugs... Whatcha gonna do! Feel better.

Lauren @ Adventures of a Southern Newlywed said...

I am sorry your have had so much on your plate. At least you know what is wrong now.

I hope things calm down soon!

Barefoot in the Park said...

1st off I'm glad to see you back! We've missed you! Secondly, I'm so sorry for your illness! I'm glad they 've gotten to the bottom of it and you are on the mend!

Mrs.Preppy said...

My mom had one a couple of years ago... she had a surgery done that really helped. Sorry you have been going through all of that!

Heather said...

You poor thing. I am sorry you have been having to deal with this! I hope they are able to figure out a treatment plan! Heather/Grace303

MMM said...

Feel better! I had reflux for awhile and was on acifex (only med that would work). After changing my diet I was able to get away from it, but now that I'm pregnant I'm having problems with it again. Hope there is a good solution to your diagnosis. Sending hugs your way.

Princess Freckles said...

My dad had the same thing! He didn't need surgery though. They gave him a temporary diet change and some meds. I hope you feel better. I had some terrible heart burn a few years back and had to have an endoscopy too. Its awful and the sure do drug you up. I was high as a kite! My dad was laughing at me because I was talking a mile a minute and nade no sense!

The Mrs. said...

Wow! at least you have some answers...what do they do for that?

magnoliabelle said...

Missed ya! That's really icky...is there anything they can do to help?

Kiki said...

Mrs. LSL, I am so glad you are back and so sorry that you have been under the weather! I think my SIL had that kind of hernia, but I'll look at your link to make sure.

I have to say, for reflux and any kind of indigestion/tummy issues, I have found the BIGGEST help was to drink aloe vera juice. If you have a GNC near you they sell it there and its cheap. Aloe does for your insides what it does for your outsides, its healing.

Many years ago I had a terrible bout of IBS, I started drinking the aloe vera juice mixed with lemonade and what a difference, I could eat normally after the first week.

Take care of yourself, and I'll be keeping you in my thoughts....

Danielle Moss said...

I am so sorry you haven't been feeling well.

I have had acid reflux (I am also 25 and not overweight), but do not know anyone with that diagnosis. I wish I could offer some advice.

I hope you're feeling better soon!

Danielle

Karen said...

So sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I also have acid reflux and had the endoscopy....no fun at all. Thankfully, I've been able to treat mine with meds and diet. Hope you feel better soon.

Karen

andrea said...

Been reading your blog for a couple of months now, just wanted to stop by and say hi. Hope you're feeling better!